In 1900, after the cellars of its long-established site on Rue Henri-Lelarge collapsed, the Pol Roger Champagne House developed a largescale complex of production buildings on Avenue de Champagne. These buildings now house the company’s winemaking, blending, bottling, disgorgement, packaging, packing and storage departments, along with various offices.
In January 1901, the House of Pol Roger inaugurated its new production facility on Avenue de Champagne. The site, which was badly damaged by German bombing raids in 1918, was restored to its original design after the war. From 1930 to 1933, new storehouses, lined with loading bays and industrial premises, were rebuilt on Avenue de Champagne on the site of old buildings.
The location of these production buildings enshrines once again a principle underpinning construction on Avenue de Champagne: the main building is set parallel to the avenue at the rear of a paved courtyard, enclosed by railings and a monumental entrance gate. However, there is only one wing on the right-hand side, whereas on other sites the courtyard is enclosed on both sides by two secondary buildings.
On the Avenue, the decoration of the facades reworked during the 1930s is inspired by Louis XVI style: medallions, friezes and cartouches with sculpted inscriptions. The foundations are built from millstone with semi-circular brick arched openings, while all the upper sections are in yellow brick.
Pol Roger Champagne House, 34 avenue de Champagne - 51200 Épernay.