Based in Épernay, the Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne, or Champagne Committee (CIVC), epitomises the culture of consensus for the benefit of all stakeholders involved in management of the vineyards. Within the French winegrowing regions, the Champagne Committee is regarded as the most effective and accomplished trade body, one that best protects the prestigious Champagne appellation around the world.
One of the key elements in Champagne's success was the switch from an individualistic to a collective ethos during the first half of the 20th century. In 1941, this emerged in the foundation of the first French joint-trade association, the CIVC, co-founded by Maurice Doyard representing the winegrowers, and Robert-Jean de Vogüe the merchants. Their initial desire - to bring together the vineyard's main players within a permanent structure, capable of presiding over the Champagne economy and being a driving force for progress and development - continues to guide their successors.
The Maison de la Champagne on Rue Henri-Martin in Épernay was opened in 1951 and is home to the headquarters of the Champagne Committee. The building is an example of 1950s architecture and decor. Built by local architect André Schnell, this reinforced concrete building has a brick facing, and its modern lines retain a contemporary feel. The sculptor and Prix de Rome winner Marius Giot created the three Champagne allegorical reliefs, sculpted in limestone over the entrance doors. The interior design and furnishings are art deco-inspired and were created by designer Jules Leleu.
Comité Champagne – 5 rue Henri-Martin – 51200 Épernay