The Champagne Fairs in the Middle Ages and the Champagne brand as we know it today together cemented Bar-sur-Aube's reputation. Located at the heart of a region crossed by many rivers and streams, the district lies at the eastern tip of the Côte des Bar vineyards in the Aube department. It is the birthplace of the great philosopher Gaston Bachelard (1884-1962).
As an international crossroads in the 12th and 13th centuries, Bar-sur-Aube became renowned and prosperous through its famous Champagne Fairs. Evidence of this period can be found in the network of cellars, storehouses and tunnels that run under the town. Bar-sur-Aube has preserved a rich architectural and historic heritage from this medieval golden age… reflected in the Église Saint-Pierre (12th century) and its wooden gallery (halloy), and the Église Saint-Maclou, former chapel of the château belonging to the Counts of Champagne, of which the keep remains (12th century). The facade of the Médiathèque Albert Gabriel, a multimedia library located in the former residence of the Counts of Brienne (16-17th century) is impressive. Also noteworthy is the architecture of the town hall, a former Ursuline convent (1634) and its chequered square.
However, in the 21st century, the town's reputation is built around Champagne. From Bar-sur-Seine (to the west) to Bar-sur-Aube (to the east), the Côte des Bar vineyards, which are the furthest south of the Champagne AOC vineyards, form a semi-circle to the south-east of Troyes. Pinot Noir is the dominant grape variety. Undulating landscapes, lush countryside and a mosaic of geometric vineyard plots, shaped by the winegrowers, unfold along the length of the Champagne Tourist Route. Vaulted cellars and the famous cadoles (drystone vineyard huts) are typical features of this area.
Côte des Bar Tourist Office
4, boulevard du 14 Juillet - 10200 Bar-sur-Aube
Tel.: +33 3 25 27 24 25