Located on the historic hillsides of Champagne, Castel Jeanson is an example of a repurposed Champagne House, where wine was once produced and sold. It has now been converted into a hotel.
Based at 24bis Rue Jeanson in Aÿ, the Castel Jeanson Champagne House passed through the hands of various owners over the course of the 20th century (Mumm in 1912, Besserat de Bellefon in 1964, Bollinger in 1979 and Duval Leroy in 1995). The house has now been restored and converted into a hotel.
The buildings are laid out around a paved courtyard, accessed through a wrought iron entrance gate on the vineyard side of the property. The original main building has two sections, one overlooking the street and the other at right angles to the courtyard. They comprise two square-shaped lower stories, and a top floor featuring a gambrel roof illuminated by curved skylights.
Changes were made when the building was converted from a Champagne House to a hotel. The original main building was redesigned to accommodate hotel rooms and reception areas; the former stables overlooking the courtyard now house the swimming pool, and a meeting room is located in the former press house opposite.
Boundary stones in the paved courtyard gathered from the different Champagne Houses evoke the building's history.
Castel Jeanson – 24, rue Jeanson – 51160 Aÿ-Champagne
Tel.: +33 3 26 54 21 75.